File:Leningrad Codex Carpet page e.jpg
This is a file from the Wikimedia Commons. Information from its description page there is shown below.
Commons is a freely licensed media file repository. You can help.
|DescriptionLeningrad Codex Carpet page e.jpg||
w:Leningrad Codex cover page E (Folio 474a). A very old manuscript of the Hebrew bible. A former possession of Karaïte Jews. They claim its author was Karaite, a position denied by Rabbinic Jews.
|Date||"The manuscript was written around the year 1010 C. E."|
|Author||Shmuel ben Ya'akov|
( Reusing this file)
Le Codex de Léningrad.
Translation of Texts Around Star and Square
- "Look down from your holy habitation, from heaven, and bless your people Israel and the ground that you have given us, as you swore to our ancestors-a land flowing with milk and honey." [Deuteronomy 26:15]
- "Therefore obey the LORD your God, observing his commandments and his statutes that I am commanding you today." [Deuteronomy 27:10]
- "These are the statutes and ordinances that you must diligently observe in the land that the LORD has given..." [Deuteronomy 12:1]
- "The LORD will open for you his rich storehouse, the heavens, to give the rain of your land in its season and to bless all your undertakings. You will lend to many nations, but you will not borrow. The LORD will make you the head, and not the tail; you shall be only at the top, and not at the bottom-if you obey the commandments of the LORD your God, which I am commanding you today, by diligently observing them..." [Deuteronomy 28:12-13]
- "All these blessings shall come upon you and overtake you, if you obey the LORD your God..." [Deuteronomy 28:2]
- "O God, you are my God, I seek you, my soul thirsts for you, as in a dry and weary land where there is no water." [Psalms 63:1 (Hebrew v. 2)]
- "So I will bless you as long as I live; I will lift up my hands and call on your name." [Psalms 63:4 (Hebrew v. 5)]
- "Have you not rejected us O God? You do not go out, O God, with our armies." [Psalms 60:10 (Hebrew v. 12)]
- "Our God is a God of salvation, and to God, the Lord, belongs escape from death." [Psalms 68:20 (Hebrew v. 21)]
- "Summon your might O God; show your strength, O God..." [Psalms 68:28a (Hebrew v. 29a)]
Translation of Centre of Star
- "I Shmuel ben Ya'akov wrote and pointed [added the vowel points and accents] and transmitted [added the Masoretic notes in the margins] this manuscript for the honour of our blessed teacher hacohen (the priest), ben Yosef hayeduah (the sage), ben Azdak, may the Living One bless him."
Translations by Stephen A. Reed
Find out more
SOS Children's Villages chose the best bits of Wikipedia to help you learn. SOS Childrens Villages is an international children's charity, providing a good home and loving family to thousands of children who have lost their parents. We also work with communities to help vulnerable families stay together and raise children in the best possible environment. Help another child by taking out a sponsorship.